Aftercare of Hair Extensions
When you have hair extensions fitted do not wash your hair for 3/4 days, this allows time for the hair and scalp to settle.
As like anything new the extensions are firmly fitted to your hair and the first 3 days they may feel a little tender on your scalp and tender while sleeping, this is normal and will settle after 3-5 days, during this time it is best to sleep on your side. The reason they are fitted tightly is to ensure longevity.
Wash your Hair extensions once or twice a week only. If you need to wash the top of your hair (crown and frontal area) more regular this can be done each day.
NEVER WASH YOUR HAIR UPSIDE DOWN AS THIS CAN CAUSE THE HAIR TO KNOT AND TANGLE
- MOISTURISE everyday (very important), the extensions do not receive your natural scalp oils and so you need to have moisture added so spray in a little leave in conditioner everyday on mid lengths and ends. If you don't moisturize your hair extensions they will become brittle and break easily leading to split and ratty ends.
- Always use a good clarifying shampoo and conditioner.
- Never wash your hair upside down as this can cause the hair to knot and tangle and never tie towel up around your head.
- Always Brush out all knots before you wash your hair, swim or sleep. Start at the bottom and work your way up slowly using your hair extension brush.
- Make sure you wash in between the micro rings to keep your scalp clean and free from bacteria. Also use good conditioner as normal, but also buy a cheap conditioner and after you have applied good conditioner, add to the mid lengths of hair add lots of cheaper condition this will make sure your hair is nice and soft.
- Always tie your hair back at night using a soft scrunches or plat them to the side or behind, this will keep them tangle free during the night.
- If sun bathing wear a hat or head scarf so that the sun does not dry out your extensions. This also applies to sun bed usage.
- You will have to come back after 8 to have your micro rings lifted this ensures longevity.
- Hair extensions must be removed by a professional hair extension consultant after 3/9 months. If you leave them in for longer this may put the natural hair under strain from the root.
- It is not recommend colouring or bleaching the hair extensions as the chemicals in the colorant may not be compatible with the chemicals used to process your extensions and the result may not be successful.
- Do not chemically straighten or perm extensions.
- Always use a good heat protection spray when blow drying, using straightners, tongs or heated rollers. This will prevent your hair from frying. When you the heat protection spray on your hair then apply straighter it makes a crackling noise! This is what happens to your hair without the heat protection spray, only you don't hear this noise so you are unware of the frying taking place.
- Don't brush harshly and tug hair extensions as it can loosen and damage the connection which holds them to your scalp.
Guide after washing hair, blowing and using straighter
- Before you wash your hair use TRESemme Rich Moisture on your hair dry on the mid length and ends by doing this, this will protect your hair against the harshness of the water and keep the hair nice and soft.Wash and condition as normal
- When your hair has been towel dried, before brushing use leave in conditioner through mid lengths and ends, then apply a little serum in the same way, this will help brushing your extension easier. It is always much easier to brush hair when wet.
- Then part the hair in 2 sections left and right then take a section at a time and brush the hair using your extension brush do this for both sides.
- Next add heat spray,
- You are now ready to use hair dryer, you will part the hair in the same and section by section you will blast the hair with dryer, there is no need to use a brush to blow dry (same applies when going to salon)
- Once hair is fully dry put some more serum in before straightening.
- The same rules applies when straightening part in 2 and section by section, once you have completed this put more serum in and a little hair spray.
- The above will help your hair extensions last longer and help you look after them by following the above rules.
- When visiting Salons the same applies THERE IS NO NEED TO BLOW DRY extensions with a brush! However you can use blow dryer on natural parts of the hair on top.
You can use any products but here are a list of some good ones
- Leave in conditioner – Unique 10 ARGAN PLUS
- Oil - Unique ARGAN PLUS LUXURY OIL
- Shampoo - ARGAN PLUS
- Conditioner - ARGAN PLUS
- Morrocan Oil
We reccomend that you use our products to ensure that your hair extensions last as long as possible
You will experience some shedding and you may lose some extensions but do not worry this is quite normal. You may lose between 5 - 20 extensions, depending on how careful you treat them.
Hair extensions are fun, fashionable and your hair is your crowning glory so enjoy.
Frequently asked questions
Why have Extensions
- Thicker fuller hair
- Longer hair
- Trendy hair
- Protection for growing out damaged hair
- Natural looking
This is my first time, what do I do?
Make an appointment to see a professional hair extension technician. They will advise you how extensions are applied. The most important part of the hair extensions is the right hair and technique. Hair is produced in different parts of the world and it is important that you get the right hair to match their own hair type.
What colour should I choose?
In order to get the exact colour for your hair a colour match had to take place. Your professional hair extension consultation will perform this at the time of consultation. The consultant will match your hair from the middle to the ends. Never purchase hair the colour of your roots as it is always darker. The blending of your hair from the bottom is the most important.
Can I mix several colours?
Mixing colours is a brilliant idea. Most People have more than one colour in their hair. Blending several colours together give a more natural look, this is also a great way to create high lights or chunks or colours for fashion trends.
Can I use extensions to add texture and colour to my hair?
Yes, hair extensions are a great way of experimenting without chemically treating your own hair.
Is it done with real hair?
Hair extensions are generally done with real human hair. However synthetic hair can be used but is not versatile and not to be used with heat.
What type of hair do you use and where does it come from?
This varies with different companies, but generally most companies use Remi hair which is usually from China or India. Remi means the cuticles are all in the same direction so this ensures the hair stays silky and smooth and does not matt if looked after. European hair such as Spanish, Italian and Russian is also widely used for extensions, but this cost's a lot more due to it being virgin hair that has never been chemically treated. This hair will also last up to a year.
Will extensions damage my hair?
If your hair is not done by a properly trained technician then damage can occur. Also maintenance after your hair extensions is done is an important part of the process. Your technician will run through this with you and should also supply you with an aftercare sheet. Take care when brushing hair and washing hair, please ensure you never wash your hair upside down and when washing also stroke the hair down.
How much hair do I need?
Most technicians do a full service of supply and fit. If you want to purchase hair your self discuss this with the hair extension technician as the amount needed varies due to different head shapes and sizes.
How long should they last?
This depends on the method of application and hair quality. Generally hair extensions are worn for 3 months maximum, they can then be removed and re fitted. Longer then this can cause damage. Weaved hair extensions tend to last 4-6 weeks.
Will hair extensions help me grow my colour, cut, perm or relaxer out?
This is a great way to grow your hair out of the above. A full head of weave is a great way to rest your hair whilst growing out a colour, cut and perm.
What is weaving?
There are several different techniques for hair weaving the most popular is the basic weave. This is where your hair is braided away using a technique called cornrow. Weft of human hair are then sewn on the track made from the cornrow braid with weaving threads and needle.
What is bonding?
Bonding is when a bulk or weft hair extensions are applied by using hair bonding agent or pre bonded tips. This method can be done hot or cold.
How do I maintain hair extensions?
You treat your hair extensions like your natural hair. Shampoo with Detangling good quality shampoo for dry hair and a good moisturizing conditioner. Never sleep with your hair wet or damp to avoid matting and possible damage to your natural hair. Brush all the tangles out before wetting or shampooing hair and for longer lengths be sure to braid or tie your hair back before sleeping on it. Wash your hair once or twice a week only. Serum can also be used to moisturize your hair daily.
How do I wash my hair?
Wash your hair in one direction. Best to apply shampoo to dry hair and leave for 5mins and wash it out, Mix shampoo and conditioner 50/50 consistency, that's a 50% shampoo and 50% water. Use a spare container to make up the shampoo solution. Always wash straight after swimming as the chloride dries out the hair and can cause matting. Always brush from the bottom upwards supporting the hair with your hand to prevent shredding and stretching.
Can I colour or perm the extension hair?
This is not advisable as the hair has already been processed. Hair comes in different shades so you will easily find a match for your hair. Virgin hair can be coloured but this will take it out of its virgin state and spoils the quality.
What type of products should I use?
Always use products that are very low in alcohol content or with no alcohol at all. Alcohol dries out the hair and strips the hair. Your hair extension technician will be able to advise on products that are good to use.
Can I remove hair extensions myself or get a friend to do it?
It is highly recommended that you get a trained hair extension technician to remove your hair extensions, If you removed by an untrained person this can result in damage to the natural hair.
Why does there seem to be so much hair shedding when removing my hair extensions?
Your natural hair sheds on a daily bases as part of the natural process. It is normal to lose up to 100 hairs a day! It in fact continues, but since your in braids or which ever installation method was attached to use your hair extensions, your daily hair sheds is trapped in the installation and not falling into your sink or latching on your comb or brush as usual. So when you remove your hair extensions, all of that normal hair shed is released an it appears as though a lot of hair is coming out all at once. If you are wearing hair extensions for 8-12 weeks that's up to 5600 to 8400 hairs you have shed during this natural process, its is very important to have a trained technician to remove your extensions.
Can I swim and go in the ocean?
You may go in swimming pools and hot tubs ands in the ocean. It is best to wash your hair right after any of theses. Avoid getting hair in salt water if you can as salt can take the moisture out of the hair and it will tangle, braid your hair very tightly if you are going into salt water. Add spray in conditioner after swimming.
Will anyone know I am wearing extensions?
No one should be able to tell. Choosing the right length and colour and curl pattern is important.